Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

Nine years old gazing at the reflection in front of me.....wondering what awkward space awaits in twenty years. And in between the ages of  1...5...13...18 and 22 a natural self was dancing with lemon drops, gingerbread men and cotton candy on an homemade stage...with the red light.

Grandma's hallway was long with a smooth oak wooden floor. The stage faced the audience in the kitchen. The stage door-dressing room was to the left where all the brainstorming fairy tale dust magic began. Dressing room filled with lavish treasures of 1920's - 1970's best designer's. Wide brim fur hats, long white gloves, oversize Cotton Club jackets and Harlem Renaissance dresses that fit to perfection. Two jewelry boxes...to the left a solid cherry wood with a 14k gold clasp and to the right a hand painted lady with a pale bleach wood finish. There were rules in the dressing room...."diamonds and pearls" for the show were only handed out from the graceful painted lady...who sang before every performance.

It's Showtime!!!

With a flick of a switch...the stage was bathed in a red velvet curtain that would open once tiny footsteps appeared. The stage manager-Grandma-audience member would run to her seat.


"I am not afraid, I was born to do this" "This note is attached to a plant I've been waterin' since the day I met you... you may water it, yr damn self." "I am asham'd that women are so simple.To offer war where they should kneel for peace, Or seek for rule, supremacy, and sway. When they are bound to serve, love, and obey."

In my mind I was NOT nine... I was Joan of Arc

In my mind I was NOT nine... I was "Lady in Red"
For Colored Girls

In my mind I was NOT nine... I was Kate
The Taming of the Shrew

In my mind I was NOT nine

I...

was...

YOU...

The crowd was always pleased and on demand encores were never turned down!!!

Love,
Acting and Apple Pie

Thank you Grandma for always providing me the props I needed for a successful life. Thank you for your applauds and constant encouragement that lives within me through every stage.

Note: "Lady in Red" quote
For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf by Ntozake Shange

1 comment: